Research Analyst/Research Fellow: Focus on Crypto/New Payment Methods in Countering Proliferation Finance at Royal United Services Institute
Research Analyst/Research Fellow: Focus on Crypto/New Payment Methods in Countering Proliferation FinanceRoyal United Services Institute
💼 Tech ⏰ Full Time 🌍 London
487 days ago
✅ 36 applications
About the Job
The Centre for Financial Crime and Security (CFCS) at RUSI is a leading authority on the intersection of finance and security. Its research aims to strengthen and transform the ways in which finance can be used to identify and disrupt a range of global threats.
A noted area of CFCS expertise covers counter proliferation finance (CPF). Since starting our CPF project in 2015, RUSI has been at the forefront of global policy development on CPF by publishing standard-setting research and collaborating closely with governments, intergovernmental bodies, and financial institutions around the world and has included a dedicated focus on the role of cryptocurrencies in North Korea sanctions evasion and proliferation finance.
Thus, via the contribution of expertise on cryptocurrencies, central bank digital currencies and new payment methods more broadly, this role would contribute to the further growth of this centre of excellence within the team.
About the Role
This Research Analyst (RA) /Research Fellow (RF) role provides an opportunity for the appropriate candidate to join the team and build on the cryptocurrency work done to date as well as be involved in the Centre’s growing body of work examining the use of economic and financial sanctions in foreign policy. This role will also provide an opportunity to place the study of ‘international security and new payment systems’ alongside the other core topics within RUSI’s CFCS.
Ultimately, this role will allow the successful candidate to develop subject matter expertise in a field of finance and security that is likely to dominate policy dialogue in the coming years.
Reporting to the Senior Research Fellow responsible for CPF and sanctions research, the RA/RF will work on the following activities day-to-day:
• Contribute to and publish topic relevant research, including larger research publications and shorter commentaries and guidance papers. This also include policy-monitoring, literature reviews and fact-checking.
• Contribute to the development and delivery of training and technical assistance on CPF/sanctions and new payment methods, either virtually or anywhere in the world*.
• Support the development of research-related events, such as workshops, seminars, and conferences, working closely with and supporting RUSI’s Outreach and Implementation Manager.
• Contribute to the generation of new topic relevant research ideas, such as economic and financial sanctions or CBDCs.
• Develop profile as subject matter expert on the policy and security dimensions of new payment systems
• Support new and existing country stakeholder relationships, where required and in the subject matter expertise.
• Ad-hoc programme support across CFCS.
**The above list of is not exhaustive, the post holder will be required to undertake such duties that may reasonably be expected within the scope and grade of the role**
• Evidenced interest in and understanding of key topic-related issues in counter-proliferation financing and new payment methods as they relate to global financial crime policy.
• Demonstrated topic relevant research and analysis skills.
• A postgraduate qualification in a related field or previous experience in a similar position.
• Excellent organisational and multi-tasking skills, and ability to prioritise.
• Comfortable communicating with stakeholders from a variety of professional and cultural backgrounds and with broad variations in seniority. You will have excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to communicate complex topics to expert and non-expert audiences alike.
• Proactive thinker with the ability to work independently, as well as in a team.
• Proficiency in Office tools.
• Project and budget management experience desirable.
• Willingness to travel internationally*.
*(All overseas engagements will initially be delivered virtually due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.)
Terms and Conditions
The RA/RF will be employed on a fixed term contact for one year, with the possibility to extend, with a six-month probationary period. It will initially be home-based due to covid-19, then at RUSI’s office in Pall Mall.
Please apply on our website. You will be asked to include:
• Your CV
• A statement of interest (max 200 words)
• A short writing sample (in English). The writing sample should be a maximum of 500 words considering the question below.
How should governments and the private sector collaborate to disrupt the use of cryptocurrencies as a tool of sanctions evasion?
The closing date for applications is midnight UK time Friday September 24, 2021. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Early submissions will be viewed favourably. Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interviews via Teams. Only shortlisted applicants will be informed they have been selected for interview. Following a successful interview, a further written test will be requested (no preparation required) as part of the final round interview.
• Evidenced interest in and understanding of key topic-related issues in counter-proliferation financing and new payment methods as they relate to global financial crime policy. • Demonstrate
Senior Blockchain (nodeJS / Solidity) EngineerCRASTONIC Ltd
💼 Tech ⏰ Full Time 🌍 Remote
3 days ago
✅ 16 applications
Junior DevOps EngineerZero Knowledge Validator
💼 Tech ⏰ Full Time 🌍 Remote
5 days ago
✅ 19 applications
Chief Technology Officer (CTO)Ridotto
💼 Tech ⏰ Full Time 🌍 Remote
11 days ago
✅ 27 applications
Senior Solidity Engineer (Remote)Lorem Labs
💼 Tech ⏰ Contract 🌍 UK & Europe timezones
15 days ago
👁 1215 views